Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jimmyjazz1975

Number of posts : 3
Home City : London
Registration date : 2015-07-05

Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue Empty
PostSubject: Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue   Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi,

I just bought a 1997 HiAce super custom camper van, it's all lovely except for two things:

1. The handling / steering seems very wooly
2. It's started pulling to the left.

The handling seems really disconnected from the road, and I feel like I'm constantly having to adjust the steering to keep it going in a straight line. Also if I let go of the wheel, it has a definite drift to the left which is disconcerting.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to deal with the issues? I did change the tyre pressure so the front tyres are at 34psi, not sure about the rear - could it be a tyre pressure issue?

Any thoughts appreciated,
J

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue   Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Get the steering joints checked for wear/damage and if all ok get the tracking checked first.

Are the tyres a matched pair?

I would think you need more pressure.

If all good so far it may be a wheel bearing or sticking brake both of which the check of steering should highlight. Bearing will have some noise, brake will give you a very hot to touch wheel!

Back to top Go down

Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue
Page 1 of 1