Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kz engine keeps shutting down

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Steward1957

Number of posts : 4
Home City : blantyre
Registration date : 2015-01-19

Kz engine keeps shutting down Empty
PostSubject: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi all I have been having intermittent problems with my 95 hiace. It has a kz turbo diesel engine. Every now and then the engine shuts down. When it does it will start when cranking but won't run. I toke off an injector line it is pumping fuel while the starter is engaged but as soon as you let the starter off then it stops. There is a clicking sound from the timing control valve on the fuel pump when the engine won't start. If I leave it over night then it will start and run find for any where from 20 mins to a couple hours.   I have checked all the sensors and they seem to be fine. I checked all the wires from the sensors to the ecu as well they seem to be fine. It seems something is pressuring up and a sensor is cutting the engine then when it bleeds off then it is ok. I found that there are 3 screens on the fuel pump one behind the fuel temp sensor it was clean, one in the fuel return collector it was very dirty and I thought that was the problem I cleaned it and made a number of 15 to 20 min runs and then today it died again. There is another screen behind the spill control valve but I will have to remove the pump in order to get the spill valve out.
Anyone have any thoughts before I pull the pump out.
Thanks a bunch
Back to top Go down
grimpanda
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : East Gippsland, VIC
Registration date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 am

Hi Steward,

Did you have any luck fixing this issue? I am trying to troubleshoot a van which has a similar problem.

Cheers,
Gabe
Back to top Go down
Steward1957

PostSubject: Re: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 5:05 am

Yes I did, I had to remove the fuel pump in order to get the spill valve out. Under the spill valve there is a screen pack you can lift out with needle nose pliers. Pry the steel ring off and there are 4 screens and filters there clean them and then pout it all back together it has not run this well for a long time.
The spill valve is very hard to get out I ended up having to make a wrench and removing the pressure head from the pump to get it lose.
Hope this helps gabe
If you go to youtube and type in the pup model there is a good video that shows you where all 3 filters are on that pump and shows you how to clean them.
Steward
Back to top Go down
grimpanda
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 2:42 am

Thanks Steward. I'll give this a go.

Basically this van will turn over when cranking but wont run. It's a very consistent problem compared to yours, which makes me think it could be more ECU related.
Back to top Go down
Steward1957

PostSubject: Re: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 3:37 am

mine would do the same it would fire as long as the starter was engaged but not when disengaged I think ECU bypasses the sensors when starting. If I left it set over night it would start in the morning and run for a few minutes then nothing until it sat for a few hours. The spill valve filter was letting fuel n but not out and it would over pressure I think.
Steward
Back to top Go down
grimpanda
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am

Good info to have, thanks Steward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kz engine keeps shutting down   Kz engine keeps shutting down Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kz engine keeps shutting down
Page 1 of 1