Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Snorkel to reduce frequenc?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Empty
PostSubject: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 am

Hi all,

was wondering if fitting a snorkel might help to reduce the frequency I change my air filter  scratch .

Currently I'm changing it ca every 10000km and it appears to be full of dust which I think may be increasing my fuel consumption = more $$. At $80 a shot it's a bit pricey  affraid . There are no aftermarket equivalents that I have been able to find.

How often do most people change their air filters?

Has anyone who has fitted a snorkel noticed a difference to either fuel consumption, frequency of air filter changes or engine performance?

Any problems arising from fitting a snorkel from the ECU point of view??

My engine is a 1KZ-TE.

Werner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 am

It sounds to me like your in a very dusty environment down there in South Australia Werner.
If that is the case, then air filter replacement every 10000Km is normal.
To answer your questions,

Yes, I noticed a small difference in fuel economy when I fitted a snorkel to my van.
I also noticed a LOT more induction noise and resonances whilst driving.
I found that the filter didn't need to be cleaned so much, though I still checked it every 5000Km.
The biggest improvement was the consistency of power, before the snorkel I would notice that the van wouldn't go as well, after the snorkel was fitted the hot days hardly worried it at all.
After market filters for the Hiaces are available, check eBay, its a great place for a bargain.
Get all your part numbers from ToyoDIY http://www.toyodiy.com/
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 12:43 am

Hi Jeff,

yes, South Australia is considerably drier than the Innisfail area, hence more airborne dust I suppose.

I remember when I installed a snorkel on my Toyota 4runner, the noise from the engine area was a lot louder as well and was starting to drive me nuts. I partially overcame the noise issue by installing an expansion box from a Mitsubishi something into the loop. Prob not possible in this case due to lack of space.

I'm having trouble finding the part number for the bracket which mounts onto the gutter as the Toyodiy site no longer has pictures for some reason scratch  which is a bit annoying if you're trying to make sure you have the correct part number.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed the lack of pictures.

I have been able to source a snorkel, but unsure what part number to supply for the gutter bracket. Any idea??

regards,

Werner
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 12:45 am

oops, should have read your mmessage first, Jeff. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
egecko

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Portland, Ore
Model and year : 1998 KZH100 SC G 1KZ-TE 2BY FC43
Registration date : 2024-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 8:02 am

Is there a follow up info for the snorkel gutter bracket/mounting hardware needed? This will help others in the future that are looking to add the snorkel to their Hiace.
Back to top Go down
OKJDM
Not so new now
Not so new now
OKJDM

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 SC 4x4 1KZ turbo - Project camper

(Also '92 JZX90 MKII & '03 JZX110 BLIT Wagon)
Registration date : 2021-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 10:19 am

They don't make them any more... will have to be a custom job..
This guy is a good source for random help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snorkel to reduce frequenc?   Snorkel to reduce frequenc? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snorkel to reduce frequenc?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Anything for sale or needed. (for the super custom blah blah) :: I need ...-
Jump to: