Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 31
Home City : Cabangan, Philippines
Registration date : 2014-03-14

1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Empty
PostSubject: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 6:16 am

2L Turbo Diesel 157000K runs ok, but when you put it in reverse, black smoke pours out of the tailpipe. Soon as you put it in park, neutral, or drive it clears. Any clues? Also where is the air cleaner?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Over fuelling, not sure why on reverse only not heard of that before.

Air filter under drivers seat in the engine bay, get to from underneath. The little grill by the drivers door is the air intake.
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 am

Found it, only it's the passenger side door on this abortion that was converted here in the Philippines to left hand drive.
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 4:40 am

The passenger has the power seat, and the dual controls for the windows, the driver gets the objects may look closer outside mirror, I keep turning the wipers on when I go to signal a turn, etc. Passengers in the back have to step out into traffic because the sliding door is on the wrong side.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 9:56 am

It's normal to mix up the stalks for a few months.

The master switch on the door, I suspect you can wire up a remote one if it is a problem?

May be possible to transfer the power seat motor and controls.

Sliding door you are stuck with!
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 am

Well I finally fixed the problem. It might not be exactly the correct way, but all I did was bump the idle up another 100RPM and most of the smoking went away.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

And that cost nothing!
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Nothing is good. Another question though, and this might be costly. How do I know if the turbo is actually working? I've been going through the posts here and people say they can hear a distinctive whine, etc. when it spins up, I don't hear anything. The engine runs fine, but if I want to plan on passing another vehicle, it's got to be planned way in advance, gutless isn't the word for it. I realize that only 2.4L moving over 4000lbs isn't going to be the fastest thing around, but I've never felt anything boosting power at any speed. From a dead stop up to 80kph seems to take around an hour or so......*S*
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 pm

The turbo will kick in at about 2000 rpm, you won't feel a surge, you may not hear it.
You may have a sticking actuator, with the engine cold, see if you can move the small metal rod on the turbo if not spray at each end with releasing spray, leave for a few hours/overnight. See if you can move it by hand, it won't move much, go for a drive. Let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:36 am

Is it the rod that looks like it's connected to probably a butterfly valve inside the exhaust pipe, if so, it won't move. I'll have to find some WD40 or something. That could be pretty difficult here in the Philippines, you can't find anything around here.
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Well it wasn't frozen, just a very stiff spring on the actuator. It only moves one way, and once I got a grip on it, I could open it all the way. What drives the actuator?
I have a lovely 5' deep 40" wide and 17'6" long pit built into my new garage, so could I go down there and have somebody bring the engine past 2000rpm to see if anything happens? Does the engine have to be at operating temp?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Turbo boost runs the actuator.

Oh pit you show off!

Yep that would do it but make sure it is well ventilated don't go gassing yourself, best warm it up out in the open.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke    1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1997 Hiace Super Custom Turbo Diesel Automatic, Black Smoke
Page 1 of 1