Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Basic campervan conversion?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
icecreamguru

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Australia
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Basic campervan conversion? Empty
PostSubject: Basic campervan conversion?   Basic campervan conversion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:15 am

I've got a 1995 SuperCustom - it's a great van, runs on diesel, quite economical, but as I do not need a big van now (smaller family) perhaps I'd sell. One way I was thinking of selling it was by converting to a very basic campervan and driving to North QLD to sell to tourists... HAs anyone done a basic conversion - what would you include, and how much would you spend (minimum vs luxury/quality)?

Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic campervan conversion?   Basic campervan conversion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Probably the three biggest expenses are the 2nd battery ($250 on eBay), the dual battery voltage controlled relay @ about $75 also on eBay and the double bed mattress ($150 or less for a half way decent one, try your local vinnies) in that order. Smile
I converted my 1994 LH125 Commuter to a camper and its great, but basic.
I have a cupboard with draws in it that I picked up from an op shop for $30.00, I made my double bed frame and slats with AU$75.00 of timber and I have 2 awnings (1 on either side of the van) that cost $175.00 each from eBay.
All my cooking is done outside the van with a Webber Baby Q BBQ and a couple of single burner stoves.
I have a 52 litre fridge that cost me $469.00 from eBay but most backpackers that I have seen use esky's that cost well under $100. (In fact some of the cheapest I've seen have been at KMart and they start at about $30 or so)
I use 2 x 25 litre water drums that I got for about $25.00 each and for a shower I have a portable shower unit that I also got for about $20.00
All my linen and pillows were also purchased from KMart, pillows are about $10 a pair and the sheets and a doona were under $30 for the lot.
The two best places to shop (up here in Nth QLD at least are KMart and the local Vinnies stores)
eBay is going to be one of the best palces to shop for Hiace parts in Australia as well, it's where I get most everything I've ever needed. (Including the rebuilt 2.8Litre diesel I have in my van!)
Ohh yeah, I also got my van from eBay too Smile
Good luck, let us know how you go and if your passing through Innisfail in Nth QLD, let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
icecreamguru

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Australia
Registration date : 2010-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Basic campervan conversion?   Basic campervan conversion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Most likely I will do it in a very similar fashion, except I am going to try and make the bed removable rather than insert a frame - meaning I will get a mattress that fits on top of the folded seats. I already have good drawers that fit under the seats!

I have curtains which need to be replaced, so yes to that... If they need to be custom made it will cost more, but maybe I find some on ebay.

My issue with second battery is that I am going to look at getting a roofrack with solar panel but have not looked into it yet.
Not sure about the shower and water, I will look into getting some good drums too. Cooking all outside, otherwise I will be spending heaps - kitchens are expensive I'm told. Or I will rather save that money and use it on takeaways!

My trip might be to the Reef - Whitsundays maybe, so Nth Qld could be in it as well :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic campervan conversion?   Basic campervan conversion? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 am

Additional info:
I have a set of roof racks on my Commuter that I had custom made.
The reason for that is that the only roof racks out there for Commuters are made by Rhino Rack and they want $260.00 for each PAIR of support arms! (That does NOT include the horizontal bar above the van, it's another $40+ for each bar!)
Now, I use 4 racks on my commuter and I had them custom made by a local Aluminium welder here for $500.00 for all 4, which was a big saving on the $1000.00+ I would have had to spend with Rhino Rack gear.

On them I mount the 2 awnings (the awnings are standard 4x4 awnings, 2.5 long on the van and they stretch out 2.1 metres), a 100mm diameter, 4Mt long piece of plastic pipe for carrying aluminium poles and antennas for my hobby of Amateur Radio and there is a 200 watt solar panel up there as well.

Virtually any solar controller will do but I decided that I wanted to combine my solar controller with a dual battery switch and charger so I bought a CTek D250S controller and I ditched the voltage controlled relay I was using.

As a result I have a fully charged batteries all the time WITHOUT using 240Volts AC mains and thats with the fridge in the van running 24/7. (The D250S will charge the start battery too if the house battery is fully charged via the solar panel.)
If I can be of assistance, let me know, I'll try and help you out as much as I can.
Jeff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic campervan conversion?   Basic campervan conversion? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am

BTW, I paid $213.00 for the 200 watt solar panel from eBay, it's the best place to get them from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic campervan conversion?   Basic campervan conversion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basic campervan conversion?
Page 1 of 1