Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace 3l diesel problems

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
burnie1000

Number of posts : 16
Home City : newcastle upon tyne
Registration date : 2013-12-02

Hiace 3l diesel problems Empty
PostSubject: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 am

Hello. I wonder if anyone out there might be able to advise me on some problems I'm having.

I'm a new member on this forum and have bought a Toyota Hiace 1994 3 lit diesel imported Remo Campervan it's automatic and has the 4x4 option.

I recently bought this vehicle and it has two big problems.

1st the auto gearbox judders on accelerating quite badly. Changes fine once going a bit faster but worse when hot.

2nd the engine looses water into the overflow bottle, I suspect after reading similar members problems this might be a head gasket but not sure.

I have tried to find a manual but all the links seem deleted.

if anyone knows of a garage that might know about this type of vehicle it would be great or is it a hard job to strip off the cylinder head? I have some mechanical knowledge.

Anyway thanks to anyone willing to help.

Cheers Burnie
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Ist try a fluid change in the box.

2nd drain and flush the cooling system, buy a new Toyota rad cap and see how you go. Could be the head gasket rare, more likely the head itself if it is that, I'd try a new radiator after a new rad cap.

Did you buy from a dealer, if so take it back and get them to fix it.
Back to top Go down
NZIPTV
NZIPTV

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Taranaki, New Zealand
Model and year : 1995 Supercustom KZH100
Registration date : 2013-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 7:33 pm

As well as the things listed by Clive, I would also suggest you get a pressure test done. I had a similar problem to you recently, and a pressure test revealed there was nothing wrong with the head etc. Saved me a lot of time (and money).

Mine turned out t be a jammed thermostat. I removed mine, and all my problems went away after a few flushes of the system.

As for the box, no idea.

Clive knows more than me on these things though.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Thank you for your replies to my post, very much appreciated. I have air bubbles coming through the top of the thermostat housing and the system pushes water out into the overflow bottle, I'm guessing a head gone. Put the van into an auto transmission repair place and will update with the outcome. If anyone knows of a good garage in the North east of England to do the head gasket I would be grateful. Is the had a difficult thing to get off. I'm an ex mechanic but back in the mini days (80's). Are there any special tools needed. I presume the timing belt has to come off as well as the pullies, rad etc. I'm keen to try and attempt it myself. Any advise would be greatly appreciated or any mechanics want a job!! ? Thanks Burnie
Back to top Go down
NZIPTV
NZIPTV

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Taranaki, New Zealand
Model and year : 1995 Supercustom KZH100
Registration date : 2013-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm

http://liquidintelligence.com.au/products/blown-head-gasket-repair

i tried this on my mums 2.4 diesel when she warped the head. (120,000 kms ago) and it is is still running fine.
well worth a try for you ( a lot cheaper than getting a head done)
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Thank you for your advise. I have tried a product called 'K Seal' but nothing, this one you suggest looks good and I will try it for sure. Cheers mate
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 7:16 am

Head remove is straight forward, recommend you use a Toyota head gasket and new head bolts, other gaskets can be OEM, rad can stay in situ but may be worth changing it for a new one, yes timing belt needs to come off - may as well replace it while you are there dead easy on the 3ltr lump. Once done that is at least 100,000 miles of worry from use.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Many thanks. Any advise to get the bottom pulley off? I will post the finding of the gearbox when I get the campervan back from the garage. Cheers Burnie
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 7:33 am

1KZ engine do you need to get the pulley off?
Anyway-
Harmonic puller may be required, on the bell housing there is an inspection plate, remove this and you should be able to get a socket on one of the bolts on the torque converter, this will lock the crank in place while you undo the pulley bolt. If the pulley does not fall off you will need to use a puller, the pulley has threaded holes in it, use these to attach the puller plate and pop off it comes.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm looking for an automatic gearbox for my Toyota hi ace 2.8 diesel its 1994 with 4 x 4 if anyone knows where I can pick up a gearbox it would be greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi, Thanks for all the previous advise. I'm wondering if anyone would know if a Toyota Super Custom Auto gearbox would fit into a Toyota Hi-ace Reimo. They both have the 2.8 diesel engine and both the same year. My gearbox is juddering in first gear and has been in for repair which cost £1200 but the problem was not solved. I'm interested in taking a chance on a second hand gearbox but want to make sure I buy the right one. many thanks
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 4:23 pm

go to www.toyodiy.com , enter deatail of the Hiace and find the gearbox part no, then serch the partno for other applications.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Many thanks for the link. Just removed the cylinder head from the engine today to fine the head gasket looks new so hasn't lasted long. I'm wondering if the head needs skimming but looks like it has been skimmed already. Anyone want a campervan??
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Maybe lucky and it was just a cheap gasket, or the stretch bolts were reused.
Get the head pressure checked if all ok refit with a Toyota head gasket, use new head bolts, best of luck!
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 10:43 am

Great advise thank you, I will post and let you know how things go. very much appreciate your time helping me. If you are ever in Newcastle you have a pint waiting for you.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 4:35 pm

No problem. I only get as far as Hartlepool.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am

Hi,
Would anyone happen to know where I can get a cylinder head for my Toyota Hiace. It's been in the workshop now for 3 weeks and got the dreaded call today that the head is cracked. Apparently there are 2 heads. One being a cheap Chinese copy (not recommended apparently) and the more expensive option of a better quality cylinder head. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. Has anyone had experience of this problem or can anyone recommend where I can get a head from? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Try www.qualitycylinderheads.co.uk/ good to speak to and advise the best way forward
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Number of posts : 89
Home City : Gold Coast Qld
Model and year : super custom 3ltr turbo diesel 1995
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

When mine had to be replaced late 2013, it was done with a head made in New Zealand ..they say that they are better than the original..
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi, Clive,
A question for you here. I'm wanting to put a low coolant level sensor on this Hi ace of mine when I get it back, once the new cylinder head has been fitted. I have already fitted another water temp gauge which works well. I was thinking there is no way of knowing if I start to loose coolant and don't want this head problem again. Any thoughts on how or where I could fit a sensor too. I was thinking the old sensor hole for my old temp gauge sensor in the thermostat housing if I can get a sensor to screw in there. Pretty sure there isn't one fitted anywhere or if there is it's not working. Cheers mate.
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Number of posts : 89
Home City : Gold Coast Qld
Model and year : super custom 3ltr turbo diesel 1995
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 6:59 am

When i had a new aftermarket temp gauge installed and the old Toyota gauge disconnected ,I had warning lights coming on from the ecu ..my mechanics tried to clear the messages etc without any success. By reconnecting the old gauge , the lights disappeared so now I just rely on the new gauge and ignore the Toyota one ..I believe it forms part of the engine electronics etc ..
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 am

Ok , never thought of that. I still have the old gauge working too. I also have a timing belt light on the dash even though the belt was changed last year which is a mystery as Toyota couldn't get it top go off. I though these thing are suppose to go forever anyway!! Had nothing but bother with this one. Becoming a good hobby though. ha.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 8:06 pm

The Toyota low coolant sensor is under the expansion tank, sort of tells you after the water has gone. When it overheats it fills the expansion tank, in normal use it sucks back any expansion but not filling it up, so a sensor through the top would let you know that it it full and about to blow.

Do a search on timing belt light, there is a simple way to clear it.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes good advice I will look into getting a sensor I can fit to the of the bottle instead. My dash has no rubber gromet so must be the dash out option. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
burnie1000

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 am

Well the Story continues: The campervan is still in the garage and has been there since before Christmas. BUT the garage called yesterday. The Cylinder head was pressure tested and a leak (crack) found. A new head was ordered and has since been fitted along with new water pump, timing belt, new head bolts and Toyota gasket. This seems to have done the trick. The mechanic road tested it and says it's no longer blowing water into the expansion tank. Suppose to be getting it back on Saturday so will post results. The mechanic told me that the gearbox judder has also gone. This vehicle was juddering when pulling away from a standing start, especially when hot or under load. If this judder has indeed been resolved due to the bad running from the cracked head that will be great. It just leaves one more problem. Since getting the campervan back from the gearbox repair garage back in November it doesn't change up from 3rd to 4th now unless you easy of the gas pedal. It used to change fine before the gearbox repair. A new torque converter and valve body were fitted at that time. Would anyone happen to know why the gearbox doesn't want to change from 3rd to 4th and if it does go in it will jump back to 3rd at the slightest touch of the gas pedal. I paid £1200 for the original gearbox repair back in November for the judder and I'm wondering now if it's been the cylinder head all the time and there was nothing wrong with the auto box. Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace 3l diesel problems   Hiace 3l diesel problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace 3l diesel problems
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next