Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dogfood_silo4
dogfood_silo4

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Newport
Model and year : 97 3.0TD Super Custom Pop Top
Registration date : 2013-06-10

Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Empty
PostSubject: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi,

I have a 97 super custom. I'm getting an intermittent alarm (constant beep tone) when the ignition is switched on and the hand brake is released.

The handbrake indicator light goes off, but the alarm comes on. Sometimes its constant, sometimes nothing, sometimes it blips when going over bumps or turning sharply.

I'm driving with the handbrake jammed (just) on at the mo, until I can track it down.

Beep comes from the diagnostics box under the passenger side dash.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 am

I have this same problem and, because of the intermittent nature of the fault, haven't been able to track it down. There have also been a number of red herrings; for example opening or closing the driver's side window (manual) sometimes stops it as if air pressure may have something to do with it.

Anyway, rather than drive with the handbrake slightly on I disconnected the warning lead from the brake lever and earthed it. That stops the alarm but the warning light remains on which for me isn't a problem.
Back to top Go down
dogfood_silo4
dogfood_silo4

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am

Cheers for the suggestion MalL. That might be what I'll end up doing, and just reconnect it for the MOT. I do want to get the the bottom of it though. I'll post back if I ever find it.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am

Good, I'd be interested to hear if you find the "proper" solution.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Back to top Go down
dogfood_silo4
dogfood_silo4

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Ha ha, Fantastic. Totally the issue!  Just ran out to the car park to check.

It seems the roof locking plate only just touches the plunger switch on one side.  I reckon it's intermittent depending on how the canvas is folded/rolled and how it sits underneath the roof.

I don't know if the switch or locking plate is adjustable, but at least I know the cause. I can fix it now.  I'll post the final solution.

Cheers MalL for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
dogfood_silo4
dogfood_silo4

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 9:09 am

Fixed.

The push switch behind each roof catch is mounted on an adjustable bracket.  So I just adjusted the adjustment adjuster.

No more beep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)   Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hand Brake Alarm (beeeeeep)
Page 1 of 1