Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY thermal pop top wrap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stepawayfromthemachine
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : Bedford, UK
Registration date : 2013-02-26

DIY thermal pop top wrap  Empty
PostSubject: DIY thermal pop top wrap    DIY thermal pop top wrap  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 5:23 pm

So I thought that I would have a go at making a DIY thermal wrap for the pop top on my Hiace. My 2.5 year old daughter will be sleeping up there, and we're planning on getting away over the next few weeks all being well (IF the weather ever improves!), so I want her to be nice and cosy up there.

Two trains of thought went into what to do, an outside affair, or an internal one. Being as we're not planning on roughing it for too long at a time initially, I thought I would try an internal one as it was easier in terms of attaching it inside.

It cost me the princely sum of £25 and a few hours of my time.

£20 of the budget went on two rolls of Thermawrap from Homebase, £5 on a roll of Duct tape. My wife had some good Velcro in her sewing box so this would have cost me extra had I not have had it.

DIY thermal pop top wrap  6DACF479-05E9-48C1-B2DB-CF96E6B13715-110-000001A1F2E336A7

I then measured the inside of the tent and cut two pieces identically for each side, with the idea that they would meet and be joined in the centre of the front part of the canvas.

DIY thermal pop top wrap  9FD46EEB-6517-42D3-9EC9-DA937562D6B0-110-000001A1E79ADD5E

Then I added two triangular sections to the tops and taped it all together. Then I added several patches of the Velcro along the top of outside of the Thermawrap, and matched them up to the fixing points on the canvas and voila an internal thermal wrap. I've been up in the top with it fitted and the difference in temp is more than noticeable. The outside noise is a lot less also, and its now nice and dark so hopefully the little monkey won't be waking up with the wildlife Smile

DIY thermal pop top wrap  1707DBF1-2F7C-4618-BD64-45C54B1A9073-110-000001A1D9B1A541

When not in use it sits nice and flat between the upper bed and the pop top roof, so it doesn't take up any downstairs space while not in use either which is good. I'm hoping it may also keep the upstairs cooler in summer but we'll have to wait and see. Takes all of two minutes to set up so a very pleasing result. Cool
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: DIY thermal pop top wrap    DIY thermal pop top wrap  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Cheers for posting this up. We frooze in the pop top at Easter, when we were down in the Gower, and I have been thinking about mocking up a thermal something or other in our pop top for a while. It's all well and good havign a diesel heater but with the top up it gets cold real quick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
stepawayfromthemachine
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : Bedford, UK
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: DIY thermal pop top wrap    DIY thermal pop top wrap  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Glad it helped Smile

Just make sure you've got a nice clean large area to work in would be my best advice. Ours seem
to be holding up very well after having plenty of use this year so they seem to be a good investment if you're prepared to spend the time making them.

It certainly a bit raw on the Gower sometimes, I've spent a fair few wet and windy weekends there.
Back to top Go down
Cruise cabOwain
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 31
Home City : Norwich, UK
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1993 2.8lt diesel, manual, 2 wd
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: thermal inner to pop top   DIY thermal pop top wrap  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 9:04 pm

I like this idea- was about to use two big sheets of cardboard I have left over but will fork out for some thermal stuff. On another tack, I have thought of respraying the dark blue top of the van a silver colour to match the silver lower down on the bodywork. Being so dark, it really absorbs the heat when away on the continent. Anyone done this or would it be cheaper to get a big silver transfer/ wrap made?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY thermal pop top wrap    DIY thermal pop top wrap  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY thermal pop top wrap
Page 1 of 1