Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

fuel pump location

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mtlhiace

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-11-26

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi,

I'm installing a diesel heater in my Hiace camper and need to tap into the fuel line before the fuel pump. Can someone that has the manuel info let me know where the fuel pump is located? or confirm that it is not in the fuel tank, in which case I'll just add a T-connector to the fuel line close to the tank.

I assume that there is no danger in cutting a diesel fuel line; i.e. I don't have to drain the tank. Any comments?

/mtlhiace
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 am

FUEL PUMP???
The Diesel engine has an Injector Pump which draws the fuel from the tank.
The Injector pump is on the nearside of the engine on the 2.4 & 2.8ltr engines.
You will need to run the fuel down, then drain the tank (There is a drain plug underneath) Take the spare wheel off to trace the fuel lines.
A bit of a messy job I bet!
You should be able to trace a power supply underneath the camper - usually shielded by plastic conduit.
Have Fun!
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 10:20 am

Run a separate fuel line branching from the stock fuel line (I'm fairly sure they exit the tank in front of the spare tire). There are a few fuel lines back there; one goes to the engine, one returns from the engine, and the other...? There is a short piece of rubber hose near the tank before it goes into metal line. I'd put a "T" in there w/ a check valve on the heater side so that the injector pump does not pull fuel/air from the heater line.

The only advantage to working w/ a near empty tank is reduced pressure when you cut into the line. Either way you need quick hands to minimize the spill. Catheter clamps on either side of the cut help but spillage is unavoidable.

I assume you will want to run this heater when the engine is off?
Does this heater have it’s own fuel pump/sump?
Back to top Go down
mtlhiace

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-11-26

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I understand that there is only the injector pump for the fuel, so I can tap into the line going into the engine.

I bought an Espar heater, and it has it's own fuel pump. Yes I plan to heat the camper independently from the engine. The check value is a good idea; didn't think of that issue.
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 9:33 am

No need for a check valve - there's already one in the Eberspacher pump.
The recommended way to do it is a separate feed from the fuel pump but I've used a tee piece just before the fuel filter - no need to drain the tank! Its important to make sure the tee junction to the eber pump is a smaller diameter (use a sleeve down) to reduce the possibility of the engine trying to draw fuel from the Eber pump and possibly damaging it long term.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 6:54 pm

A previous installation just used a T in the return (leak off) pipe to the tank. The pipe almost reaches the bottom but not as far as the pickup, so no chance of draining the tank nor allowing an engine/heater interuption, also the diameter of the pipe is smaller.

Best of luck and photos when you have finished.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fuel pump location Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump location   fuel pump location Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fuel pump location
Page 1 of 1