Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
martin347

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Chester
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Empty
PostSubject: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Ok, So first of all hello everyone, this is my first post Smile

I recently changed my timing belt together with water pump and both idle pulleys on my 1997 Hiace power van 2.4D. Everything whent fine, I have changed loads of belts before. Had everything marked up, checked the marks after all the new bits where on. Changed oil and fuel filters, stated her up, everything seemed fine. Whent up the road and suddenly just lost all power!!!!!
I got towed home and inspected the damage, I thought maybe i'd put the belt on too tight and it snapped or too loose and it had jumped off but after closer inspection the belt was fine.
All the marks are still lining up, but it just runs like a bag of nails! I took the manifold off and it looks as if its only running on one cylinder. So with not owning a compression tester, I thought i'd wip the head off as something must of gone wrong in there! But after alot of work I found everything to be looking tip top. After re-assembling, I was really hoping it would run fine but its still the same!
I am now out of ideas, there are no lights on on the dash. But I have left the battery disconnected over night just incase that gets rid of any fault codes etc. But am not hopefull!

Any help would be very, very, very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Martin.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 7:58 am

If it ran fine at first then timing must be ok

Did the engine still tick over when you lost power - suspecting fuel starvation check fuel filter is on correctly.
Back to top Go down
martin347

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 11:20 am

Yes it did run fine when I first started it up/ drove it out the garage. But then taking it up the road it lost power fairly soon, then has got worse ever since.

I have now taken the new fuel filter off and put the old one back on checking all the seals. I noticed that when pumping the primer the engine runs much better. I changed the pipe fro the filter to the fuel pump incase that is letting any air in too. It seems to run fine when you pump the lift pump. I noticed a small part on the top of the lift pump with two wires going to it. Is this a small electric pump?

Thanks for your help, Martin.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 11:33 am

Does the primer go hard? Thinking that the diaphragm may have gone?

The wires are most likely a fuel heater, a very rare fitment and you will unlikely to find a replacement with the heater installed. Non heated one will fit no problem.

Try running from a jerry can with clean Diesel straight to the injection pump, this will identify any fuel supply problems.
Back to top Go down
martin347

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Ok, thanks again for the quick reply. Ive connected it straight to a jerry can and not alot of difference. It ticks over a little better but still only revs about half revs.

Its almost as if the timing for the fuel pump has changed but I havn't touched that!

Just to clarrify, the cam sprockett timing marks sits at the bottom of the head pointing at the little arrow on the head doesn't it, About 6 o'clock?

Cheers, Martin.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Not sure on your engine. All the other Toyota engines I've seen there will be a mark on the pulley and a mark on the head/block that lines up.
I would go along with the timing being out if it had not of been ok in the first place.
Fuel pump done up tight it may have rotated enough to appear a tooth or two out?
Back to top Go down
martin347

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes, i'm really starting to think that the timing of the fuel pump cant be right. But why is pumping the lift pump helping the engine to run better? And how did it move in the first place? I havn't touched it!!!!!

I have just checked the compression and numbers 1 & 3 are 25Bar and number 4 is 30Bar, No2's glow plugged snapped on me Mad giving me another little job to do!
Back to top Go down
martin347

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Just to update-
I took the fuel pump off to be tested and have now been told it is nackared! And comletely un-repairable.
So now I am looking for a new one!!
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 am

I think DieselBob is up your way, may be worth having a chat with him?
http://www.dieselbob.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!   Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timing belt problem. Please help before I pull my hair out!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: