Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Some wierd noises…

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

Some wierd noises… Empty
PostSubject: Some wierd noises…   Some wierd noises… Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi all, we're getting some odd noises off the van;

Stuff that’s happened recently that maybe could have a bearing on this:

—Belts replaced while injector was being removed for servicing. Do they need tightening soon after replacement?
We've had the belts tightened but this didn’t work. Should I just tighten them more? Can you over-tighten them?

—We had a coolant leak and overheat. Doesn’t seem to have affected the performance so I don’t think we cracked the head.
Could an airlock in the cooling system produce a ringing?
Could steam heat from leak affect the non toothed belts?

Can anyone think of other stuff that makes uncharacteristic noises?

If anyone has ideas we'd like to hear more. Mechanic's faces cloud over with this kind of thing as its usually impossible to find so I'd like to go in with more than ‘my van’s making a noise that only I can hear’

Sorry if this is all a bit waffly and impossible to figure out over a forum but I thought I'd give it a go.

Cheers
Marko

Edit: The noises are coming from the engine compartment btw : )
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Some wierd noises… Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some wierd noises…   Some wierd noises… Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

Screeching like a worn clutch bearing? Could be the exhaust manifold blowing, noise will be in tune with engines revs.
Squealing could be the idler pulley bearings or indeed the wrong belts/tension, noise may come and go.

need to know is this a mettalic noise?
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Some wierd noises… Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some wierd noises…   Some wierd noises… Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Not sreeching, two noises really. One sounds like a belt scraping and is intermittent.
The other is a ringing like old tvs would when the channel had shutdown for the night. A soft sine wave tone.
Its there most of the time stops briefly when changing gear… which now you've mentioned it could be transmission related.
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Some wierd noises… Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some wierd noises…   Some wierd noises… Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Update. Turned out to be the power steering pump. Had a 2nd hand one fitted and a perfectly silent(ish) trip back to London! Hurrah!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Some wierd noises… Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some wierd noises…   Some wierd noises… Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some wierd noises…
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing) :: Members guides to fixing problems :: Members guides to fixing problems-
Jump to: