Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up

Go down 
+2
BFG
muzzat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
muzzat

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Stirling
Model and year : 1994 LH113 Dreamhouse/Noppo conversion 2.8L
Registration date : 2012-07-13

Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Empty
PostSubject: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 pm

I've got a '94 LH113 with 50k miles on the clock. She runs fine and has just completed a 1200 mile holiday without any issues.

Recently when you start her the dashboard displays several lights and a beeping alarm sounds. These all go out and the alarm stops when you depress the throttle and you can hear a click from the engine area when this happens.

Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Imag0311

Oil and radiator are both topped up.

Should I be worried about this? Thanks in advance for replies.
Back to top Go down
BFG
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 24
Home City : West Midlands, UK
Model and year : 1994 HiAce Reimo conversion, 2.8 auto.
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Check that you've got just under 14V off the alternator at idle. Read either on here or one of the other fora that low voltage can cause this to happen.

I think the other person found it was a loose alternator earth strap.

Cheers,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Check the tension of the alternator belt(s)

All suggestions pointing to the alternator....
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

Number of posts : 65
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Muzzat,

how did you fix your problem in the end ? I ve got the exact same issue with the exact same lights. I just have to depress a liiiiiittle the throttle and it s all fine......

it seems related to the alternator, but not sure what to check exactly Sad

thanks !

David
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 7:52 am

Belts first.
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:21 am

oh thanks Clive !
just realized you mentioned that in your previous message !
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:45 am

Hi again,

I'm now full time on my hiace for the final check up.
Still have this issue with dashboard lights. So at first, I had to depress slightly the throttle to switch off both the alarm and the lights.
but 4 months later (I was back in the UK, and the van is in the south of France, so the vehicle didn't move), it's getting worse !
Same alarm and lights, but depressing the throttle is not enough Sad I have to drive at around 10mph to switch off the lights/alarm.
I've got someone working on my hiace at the moment (I need to replace the timing belt) and he told me the alternator is dead. Mileage is 82000, but the van is from 1994, how to be sure the alternator is dead and it's not coming from something else ? I don't expect an alternator to die by itself if not in use and I was expecting the same behaviour after 4 months.
Looking for parts, it seems impossible to find another one in Uk or in France.
This is a hiace cruising cabin 1994, LH119V-RRPES.
Any help welcome guys, thanks !

David
Back to top Go down
BFG
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:08 am

We've just had a new alternator in our 1994 HiAce, so I guess it"s not unheard for them to fail. Our local garage was able to source a new unit for us without difficulty, although the price was a bit eye-watering (£270 fitted).

We didn't have the dashboard lights problem, but an auto electrician ran some diagnostics, and it wasn't putting out enough current to keep the leisure battery topped up.

Cheers,

Rob
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi Rob,

do you know which alternator you have in your hiace ?
Mine is 27060-54220, I'm wondering if I could fit another one.
I sent a message to startermotor-alternator and they don't have this one : "Unfortunately I cant identify it by the part number (this is fairly common for HiAce/Lux ,they made up a lot of part numbers for these units, almost on the fly)"

cheers,

David
Back to top Go down
BFG
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

I believe it was a Denso unit, but unfortunately no longer have the part number to hand.

Have you tried checking www.toyodiy.com - it may give a different part number for your model that might be easier to identify a replacement from.

Cheers,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 1:57 pm

The windings (expensive part) are fairly hardy, the rectifier and other electrical bits at the back are prone to die. These are just electrical bits radily available at any auto electricians or even electrical outlets such as Maplins. Get the autonator to a good auto leccy if you are not confident yourself, or like me can't solder, should be a few pounds rather than a few hundred.

Too many mechanics want to scrap and replace rather than fix it. Vent vent, Okay of my soap box now!
Back to top Go down
BFG
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 2:00 pm

I was tempted to give this a go, but in the end ran out of weekends before the first big away days of the season. That and the skeptical looks from Mrs. BFG. She still remembers the lack of passenger side floor in my Morris Minor...
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 2:26 pm

ok thanks guys, I'm gonna hunt for a good auto electrician, hopefully we'll be able to repair it..... Sad
part number from toyodiy is 27060-54220, but I didn't find anything on the web with this number !
I did a test with the epc program but it's a bit confusing...... and I don't get the same number ?!

David
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:25 am

Toyodiy will list the part as fitted on date of manufacture, EPC will list the latest compatable, it should also list the original.
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Hey Clive,

so I could replace it with one listed on EPC ? awesome Smile
thanks !
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:48 am

Take your VIN no into Toyota and get them to cross check.
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 11:07 pm

To follow on this, our alternator was dead, Toyota France had a tough time to find the part, and they finally gave us a reconditioned alternator 270605422084, for our cruising cabin 1994 (engine 3L). Only 60A, but it does the job ! 200euros and 4h to replace it.
On a side note, we had the dashboard alarm + all the lights when idle. First thing, we increased the tension on the belt. The alarm disappeared, but there was no light at all on the dashboard.....hmmm
We went to Toyota France for a checkup, and they told us the alternator was shot. Amazing how many miles you can drive these things with the batteries ! We did almost 500 miles in 4 months, with no alternator !
2 months later........we have our new alternator, new accessory belt, and we're back on the road !
Back to top Go down
rubythursday
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 45
Home City : York
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom 2.4 Petrol. Wellhouse Conversion
Registration date : 2014-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 8:16 am

I had exactly the same problem, new alternator fixed it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonysimons.me.uk
Darren Lewis

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Yate, Bristol
Registration date : 2024-02-23

PostSubject: 2009 Hiace light on dash problem    Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2024 2:22 pm

Hi all

Noticed when I got in the van a similar problem as you have . Four lights on and nothing wrong with it a week ago. Took it down our garage and they done all the computer testing, and funny enough all systems are working as they should be.
We've had a shed load of rain lately and I don't use the van anywhere near as I did since the new company took over.
I think may water has got onto a circuit somewhere nut not in a rush.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up   Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dashboard lights & alarm on start-up
Page 1 of 1