Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cam belt tension sensor??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BFG
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 24
Home City : West Midlands, UK
Model and year : 1994 HiAce Reimo conversion, 2.8 auto.
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Cam belt tension sensor?? Empty
PostSubject: Cam belt tension sensor??   Cam belt tension sensor?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi All - new to the forum, we've just bought a 1994 Reimo camper, with I believe the 3L engine (2.8, naturally aspirated).

I put it in the garage as soon as we got it to have the cam belt replaced, they've just called to say that the cam belt looks pretty much new. Not a problem in itself, but they then said that it has a cam belt tension sensor, so a light will come on when the cam belt starts to get too slack.

Now, all the info I have found says that it has no such thing. The cam belt change light just comes on every 100,000Km.

Opinions? Is the garage pulling my leg on this one? If so, should I believe that they've actually stripped it down and looked?

Cheers,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Cam belt tension sensor??   Cam belt tension sensor?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:25 pm

No they have not looked hard enough, and even if the cam belt looks new you do not know how old it is, may have been fitted 5 years ago but done no miles since, how do you know?

If you asked for a cam belt change that is what they should do.

I suspect they did not know the engine and now realise that it is not as quick as they thought.
Back to top Go down
BFG
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 24
Home City : West Midlands, UK
Model and year : 1994 HiAce Reimo conversion, 2.8 auto.
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Cam belt tension sensor??   Cam belt tension sensor?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Clive - I suspect they just don't want to do it. If there's no charge for the labour of stripping it, I'm inclined to think they didn't bother, and I'll need to get it done elsewhere.

It won't be going back to them for any more work, I think. I've not been overly impressed with them so far.

Any idea how long roughly it should take to change a cam belt? Looking at it with layman's eyes, there doesn't seem an awful lot of room in there to work.

Cheers,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Cam belt tension sensor??   Cam belt tension sensor?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Not sure if you have the long belt - 2 to 3 hours for a mechanic or half a day if DIY or the short belt one 30 mins for mechanic 1 hour DIY.

No tension sensor just the light as you thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam belt tension sensor??   Cam belt tension sensor?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cam belt tension sensor??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: