Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Empty
PostSubject: Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid   Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Not organised enough to photo but thought I'd list how I repaired.
The actuator solenoid (there are 2) is bolted above the transfer box next to a air vacuum collector.
It diverts vacuum to either the top or bottom of the diaphram switching chamber depending on whether you engage or disengage via the switch on the dashboard
When the 4wd is 'on' the solenoid is not magnetized....which allows a vacuum port in the solenoid to be blocked.....when the 4wd is off the solenoid is magnetised which opens the internal port.

The original bit in the solenoid was lost and never seen....the actuator split in 2 when I was renewing some vac tubes....I was just left with a small weak spring which just protrudes from the housing about a 16th of an inch. Had to work out myself what was missing.

Came up with this....made a small piston from steel 1/4" tube about 1/2" long....sealed one end with solder and drilled the internal so the spring sits 1/8" from the end inside the piston.

You will need an assistant to operate the dash switch while you are under to ensure you have the piston length right...I used hand pressure and blu-tak to temporary seal while I worked this out.
Once happy with the operation then clean up the solenoid faces and put together with 2 part epoxy thinly brushed to both surfaces and a cable tie to hold it together while it sets.

When magnetised (4wd off) the 'piston' drops to cover an internal vac port....when 4wd on the magnet power pulls the small piston away from the port allowing vacuum to engage 4wd via the main switching diaphram (EDIT - sorry, this bit is the other way round )

It now works better than it ever did....took about 3 yrs of sulking and 5 hrs of head scratching/making the piston etc. to get it right.

I realise this may all appear gobbledy gook to some without pics......but just incase someone has the same problem it may help.
New actuators are over £100 + vat UK...not fitted to anything else either

Last edited by chrisandhiace on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Number of posts : 89
Home City : Gold Coast Qld
Model and year : super custom 3ltr turbo diesel 1995
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid   Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Geez I'm glad mine is a Full Time 4X4...
cheers Tezza
Back to top Go down
barts

Number of posts : 2
Home City : dunedin
Registration date : 2012-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid   Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 am

my hiace jumps out of 4x4 under load any Ideas?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid   Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Is it full or part time?
On the part time it won't be the actuator...as when that fails the 4wd stays in the setting it was at on failiure.
I'd check the 4wd switch and wiring to make sure its not shorting or switch not worn out.....then check its mechanically engaging fully when the hi / lo range lever pushed down..be throrough with this check crawling under to see if it will engage further from the side of the transfer box...check all the rods from lever to ensure no undue play. Apart from that maybe something mechanical in the transfer box.....dunno...
Back to top Go down
barts

Number of posts : 2
Home City : dunedin
Registration date : 2012-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid   Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks chrisandhiace
today i checked the actuator and its working OK and I took the slack out of the cable .To be more explicit Ihave done some trials and its fine 4x4 in high range and is Jumping out of low range rather than out of 4x4. there is a pronounced ticking from the transfercase in low range so im picking there is a fault in the low range power train. but I wanted to make sure Im no missing anything before I drop the transfer case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid   Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Part time 4wd 4x4 actuator solenoid
Page 1 of 1