Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

freewheeling tensioner pully

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

freewheeling tensioner pully Empty
PostSubject: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 1:36 am

I recently changed the oil and filter and noticed when I shut off the engine there is a pulley which keeps spinning above the other belts and doesn't appear to be serving a function. Is this set up wrong?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 7:27 am

How big? All pulleys are driven off the crank shaft so all should stop with the engine?
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 am

it's about 10 cm. it's the uppermost pulley just above the crank. Is it the air conditioning pulley? Or maybe that's further down and has a hole in it. I know it serves a purpose and last time I did the oil, I don't remember it continuing to spin after I shut the engine off. I'm thinking the guy who did the timing belt last in May perhaps, maybe- he did not tension the belt right. I need to have another look at it. The engine is running fine and I have not used the air con since 2010 so...I dunno right now.

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 am

Not sure how your engine is set up, but it sounds about the right size for an adjuster pulley. If it is spinning then the belt is not tight enough, and if that is the case I'm surprised the belt has not broken causing damage interference with the other belts/fan/rad.
Get you A/C in use, helps no end with clearing the screen in the cold and frosty winter.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:00 pm

ok when it's light out I'lll take another look. That's right you are in foggy old Bristol...similar weather as to here doesn't mean we feel affectionate about it...the air con could chill out the windows nicely and there are certianly enough of them
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 7:35 am

looks like the drivers seat has to be taken out to make the pulley rest on the belt
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:10 pm

I would not worry about this pulley.

It is free wheeling beacause the belt is not touching it once the engine stops- the belt is the Air Con drive belt and it is the longest belt on the engine.

Mine does it and my belt tension is to spec, the pulley stops the belt from whipping and therefore stretching.

Ypu will see that if you tighten the belt even more i.e. over tighten it, it will not touch the pulley when the eogine is running.

LEAVE IT ALONE!!
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 2:32 am

So the pulley only touches the belt sometimes. Such as when the belt tries to whip. What is the spec tension of this belt?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:55 am

Most of my Toyota A/C pumps have a free spinning pulley that is directly run from the crankshaft pully, with a standard adjuster pulley. The Belt tension is the same all the time. The A/C is engage by means of a clutch on the pump pully.

Other Toyota pumps have been cog driven.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 1:39 pm

If you are talking about the wheel John refers to please don't worry. Its just a idling wheel to stop the belt bouncing.
The belt will only whip badly when the tension is loose.....when any long belt gets loose you will hear the loud ticking noise as it 'whips'.
Tension is usually that you can twist the belt 90 degrees without using mega force, but you don't want it too tight or bearings will wear prematurely
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 1:45 am

thanks for your answers. I'm going to have fun with my air con this winter and see if I can keep the windows clear

So this leads me to another question. I have the hot/cold box between the front seats. have any of you managed to make ice? Mine has ice cube trays with tiny ice cubes spaces (probably about 2 cm) . maybe enough to chill the little box for a couple of hours...you know what I'm thinking....
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 am

With the A/C fully charged the ice is ready after about 20 minutes. Used it once just to check, sold it with the same water in the ice packs.

The kettle on the other hand got used a lot and one thing I really miss with the Townace.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am

a town ace is for sale here (1989 w/114 km for 4600 loonies) with a hot cold box. I imagine it has the kettle too. I always forget to put on the kettle and when I get to where I'm going (for a take out coffee) I go, " oh ya?... next time."
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 am

No kettle in the Townace. No hot/cold box in my current Townace either, but it starts the best I've ever had, it runs just lacking the extra oomph of a SC, and stops when I want it to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: freewheeling tensioner pully   freewheeling tensioner pully Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

freewheeling tensioner pully
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: