Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

normal or turbo?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bloodybutterflies

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-10-09

normal or turbo? Empty
PostSubject: normal or turbo?   normal or turbo? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi there,

I've just started to look at the super custom - they're so cool, but I doubt I need say that here... I'm really trying to get to a 4WD camper but with more than two 3-point seatbelts and I think this'll make a good place to start (I have boats and kids in my life).

Just got a question though, hope you can help.
This seems like a common question for newbies (like me) so I'm sorry if it's been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it in a search.

Is there much difference between the normal and turbo engines?
Any pros and cons?
I tend to do fewer but longer journeys, and often pulling a lightish trailer.

I spotted this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280161438302&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk
But, living in Liverpool, I think an import should be an option too.

Any advice would be great.
Cheers
Wol
Back to top Go down
Clockman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-13

normal or turbo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: normal or turbo?   normal or turbo? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Go for the 3lt turbo every time, no contest. This will spoil you for any other Hiace. I have 2 other ' business' Hiaces both 2.4D,excellent workhorses,but I am now glued to my 3lt turbo, the others are like donkey carts by comparison.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

normal or turbo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: normal or turbo?   normal or turbo? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 pm

i've only had the 3.l and only use occasionally for towing but its GRRRREAT
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

normal or turbo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: normal or turbo?   normal or turbo? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 am

"Is there much difference between the normal and turbo engines?"
Same engine block/heads used for both. Stay away from the 2LT and 2CT as they have issues with the heads cracking. The 2L and 2C were not originally designed to have a turbo added hence the head cooling/cracking issues.

“Any pros and cons?”
If you are buying used... the odds are greater that a turbo engine will have been driven hard. Non turbos are slow and require slower driving habits which extend the life of the engine.

Now that said... If I found a used 3LT, with a stock turbo timer shut-off and a pyrometer (to measure exhaust temps) I would have no problems buying it as whoever owned it prior, likely cared about the vehicle.

Oh... and I really like the bumper gaurd on that Hiace for sale. If you buy it, let me know if it is a bolt on unit and if there are any ID markings so I could order one for myself.
Back to top Go down
bloodybutterflies

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-10-09

normal or turbo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: normal or turbo?   normal or turbo? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 10:17 am

That's great. Thanks for your help.
I'm not the most car-savvy, so I appreciate your advice.
What's the fuel consumption like?

Sorry Zoochy, I can't help about the bumper guard. I couldn't get to see the van in time so didn't bid in the end. Now thinking about importing... maybe.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

normal or turbo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: normal or turbo?   normal or turbo? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

normal or turbo?
Page 1 of 1