Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?

Go down 
+2
srburnsy
dare2go
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dare2go
dare2go

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Northern NSW
Model and year : 1998 Hiace KZH116
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Empty
PostSubject: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 am

Hi, I'm new to the 4x4 Hiace, after I have owned 2wd-versions in the past. Now my questions:
is there an option to lift the front a bit, without spending a fortune?? Mine is sitting really low, due to the heavy-duty steel-cross-frame lower than my old 2wd, and there's also not much room between the dampening rubbers and the axle arms (if that's what they're called)...

Another question: what's the largest size tires (15 inch wheels) you have fitted successfully (not rubbing on wheel arches)? This could be another option to get the front off the ground a bit...

Might as well add an image to introduce my rig:
Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Rudi-01
I call her "Sunny Side Up", 98 model 3-liter-turbo Diesel, auto with 111,000 k's

zrylzizou likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://dare2go.com
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Welcome mate! Nice and yellow! good to see another 4wder on here!

There's already a fair bit of info about lift's and fitting larger tyres, but i will answer quickly.

Largest tyres with out a lift seem to be 225/70/15 and with some slight modifying some are running 235/75/15. Very easy to lift the front up your self, just wind the torsion bars up about 6-8 full turns and you got your self another 25mm!

Have a look here

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t403-off-road-capability?highlight=off+road

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1647-light-off-road-hiace?highlight=off+road

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1608-bigger-wheels-and-tyres?highlight=tyres

zrylzizou likes this post

Back to top Go down
dare2go
dare2go

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:18 am

She used to be a pre-school bus in Japan - hence the colour. The van also has less of the luxury inclusion = less to break! Eg no electric windows, no central locking, etc.

I had read about the torsion bars, but 25-30 mm isn't that much either (compared to the Mitsubishi Delica - but I'm happy she's a Toyota!!) - I hope the tires will give me another inch or so. The current rubbers, 215/70 x15 still have around 15,000 kilometers of road use in them, but not much grip for off-roading, and old tires tend to puncture more easily, so I think about changing all 5 before setting off on the trip; I was hoping to put 225/75 x 15 on the same rims, although 235/75 seem to be more commonly available and cheaper, but might be too wide (and rub on steering parts or suspension)... The size you mention, 225/70, I can't find anywhere listed.
Back to top Go down
mattyj
Been here a while
Been here a while
mattyj

Number of posts : 118
Home City : Liverpool Sydney
Model and year : 92 Toyota Hi-ace 4x4 Super custom non turbo
Registration date : 2010-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 am

hey mate looks good

you got hi and low or is it just a hi range box. auto lock hubs etc

what off roading you want to do im into some technical stuff and bush camping as well as beach spent the weekend up at stockton weekend before out putty/singleton weekend before up Norah heads lol busy month lol

Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 am

dare2go wrote:
She used to be a pre-school bus in Japan - hence the colour. The van also has less of the luxury inclusion = less to break! Eg no electric windows, no central locking, etc.

I had read about the torsion bars, but 25-30 mm isn't that much either (compared to the Mitsubishi Delica - but I'm happy she's a Toyota!!) - I hope the tires will give me another inch or so. The current rubbers, 215/70 x15 still have around 15,000 kilometers of road use in them, but not much grip for off-roading, and old tires tend to puncture more easily, so I think about changing all 5 before setting off on the trip; I was hoping to put 225/75 x 15 on the same rims, although 235/75 seem to be more commonly available and cheaper, but might be too wide (and rub on steering parts or suspension)... The size you mention, 225/70, I can't find anywhere listed.

Mate the 225/70/15 are readily available, Coopers have em in the ATR's and Nexen AT's just to name a few. If i was in the market for new tyres i'd go for some BFG all terrain's in a 215/75/15 they are about 6mm bigger in diameter than the 225/70/15's and will fit no prob's, they are rated as light truck so have much thicker side walls better for off road and load carrying. Just be aware for insurance purposes in NSW the legal tyre diameter can only be increased from standard by 15mm, so by going any thing bigger that 225/70/15 will void any insurance you have.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 am

mattyj wrote:
hey mate looks good

you got hi and low or is it just a hi range box. auto lock hubs etc

what off roading you want to do im into some technical stuff and bush camping as well as beach spent the weekend up at stockton weekend before out putty/singleton weekend before up Norah heads lol busy month lol

I reckon the full time 4wd sticker on the side gives it away Matty. Very Happy

So Matty how's she performing off road? Sound like your getting out there, any pic's? Sorry for the high jack maybe start another thread for the pic's, throw em in the ''off road capability'' thread.
Back to top Go down
mattyj
Been here a while
Been here a while
mattyj

Number of posts : 118
Home City : Liverpool Sydney
Model and year : 92 Toyota Hi-ace 4x4 Super custom non turbo
Registration date : 2010-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 am

sorry missed the full time part of the sticker lol

ill up load some pics soon
Back to top Go down
dare2go
dare2go

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am

mattyj wrote:
you got hi and low or is it just a hi range box
hi and low.

Thanks for the tips with the tyres! I confess: all "research" done so far only online - haven't had time to go to a tyre dealer...

Basically want to go bush camping, and maybe as far up as the Gulf Coast. Cape York might be a bit out of question (but also time wise)... Fraser Island will be interesting - see how she'll do there.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 pm

You have hi and low range transfer box? Shocked Are you sure?
Back to top Go down
dare2go
dare2go

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 pm

srburnsy wrote:

No Dooh - no, of course not! Mea culpa No
Back to top Go down
trooper

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Vladivostok, RU
Registration date : 2010-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 pm

srburnsy wrote:

It's not possible for Hiace without big changes in transmission.

But you can put LSD in rear axle. My KZH138 was with LSD

And you can make some changes in transmission - change locks in front wheels for manual. Change transfer case (between AT and reductors) to case from Hiace with 3L or 5L engines (they all part time) and mount key in cabin. After this changes you will gotKZH Hiace with part time transmission. it's save fuel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 10:38 pm

srburnsy wrote:
Welcome mate! Nice and yellow! good to see another 4wder on here!

There's already a fair bit of info about lift's and fitting larger tyres, but i will answer quickly.

Largest tyres with out a lift seem to be 225/70/15 and with some slight modifying some are running 235/75/15. Very easy to lift the front up your self, just wind the torsion bars up about 6-8 full turns and you got your self another 25mm!

Have a look here

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t403-off-road-capability?highlight=off+road

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1647-light-off-road-hiace?highlight=off+road

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1608-bigger-wheels-and-tyres?highlight=tyres

This will change the camber as well though, you might find yourself changing your tyres pretty quickly if you change this setting and nothing else, correct me if im wrong. Youll getmore pressure on the outside of the tyre and theyll tear up. I wouldnt recomend it unless you know what your doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 am

After you wind up the torsion bars the vehicle WILL need a wheel alignment, it doesn't just throw out the camber but also the toe in (or out) and the caster angles change too.

If you take the car to a decent wheel alignment place they'll do it all at once for you, no mess, no fuss.

Jeff C.
Back to top Go down
Kimbo

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : 1994 3ltr turbo very clean
Registration date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 am

Hi everyone I am a newbie with some 4x4 experience ( Suzuki Sierra, Prado, Rover Disco, ) a lot of sand work, Little Desert e.t.c. and a bit of the High Country. Just got a 94 constant 4x4 3 litre turbo SC and I have made the bed with storage under and put 235/75R15 AT on her. I will have to make some small mods to the front and all should be ok. Away this weekend at Albury Wodonga and after that I will fit a Kitchen, Solar Power e.t.c. Will post before and after pictures when finished
Kimbo
Back to top Go down
Kimbo

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : 1994 3ltr turbo very clean
Registration date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 pm

hello everyone after Albury we camped at Gunbower on the Murray just out of Cohuna but not before I made some changes: a new 2.5 inch Exhaust with 1 muffler and 1 hot dog ( very nice ) and a stainless scoop over the air intake ( trick ) the trip was very wet lots of deep ruts under the flooded areas plenty of mud and bouncing around and had to peel my wife from the roof like an angry cat!
the sc did it with ease and at no time did it feel like she would not make it through' next day was easier as I was able to dodge the long deep bogs and keep my wife happy
next we are off to Little Desert around Dimboola and we will see how she goes in the sand
Enjoy your sc's and I will send pics when I have finished my mod's
Kimbo
Back to top Go down
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

Number of posts : 24
Home City : St Austell
Model and year : Super Custom Hiace
2.8 auto 4x4 1993 2.8 3L Turbo engine
Camper Yokohama conversion
Registration date : 2012-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 am

I've just done a post about lifting the front and rear of my Hiace, and the maximum tyre sizes that will fit.. http://hiacehobo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/toyota-hiace-super-custom-4wd-2.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?   Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Lift on 4x4 Hiace - possible for little $$$s?
Page 1 of 1