Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

fitting aisin locking hubs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
urantia

Number of posts : 18
Home City : Perth
Model and year : 1997 Super Custom living saloon
4wd, 1kz
Registration date : 2011-05-20

fitting aisin locking hubs Empty
PostSubject: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 1:13 am

Anybody know the effects of fitting these to out full time 4wd kzh hiaces?

I was looking at uncles hilux and the hubs look like they would probably bolt on.

I just wonder how this could affect fuel consumption and drivablity.

Also wondering if anybody has fitted the cusco LSD into the rear or the arb air lockers?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 4:07 pm

I guess it could be done if they fit? But why would ya do it? The advantages of awd on the black top far out way the almost negligible fuel savings. Locking hubs are only necessary for part time 4wd.

Diff lockers can be fitted but you would have to do fit it front and rear to make it worth while. I don't know of anyone on here that have it fitted but i know some including me were looking into it. I decided not to go through with it due to the cost and effort involved. There is no doubt that it would make a huge improvement to the capability but at the end of the day it'd still be less capable than a part time 4wd.

Mate do you get off road much?
Steve.

Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Just had a thought... affraid DONT DO IT!

Ok I was just thinking about your idea of locking hubs and it wont work on our full time 4wd system... In short it would be like lifting both front wheels off the ground, you will go nowhere at all Shocked meaning all the drive input would be directed to the front drive shafts. The only vehicles you can do this type of mod is to Range Rovers or Land cruises that have full time 4wd and locking centre diff's.
Back to top Go down
urantia

4wd, 1kz

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 12:12 am

Gday srburnsy, glad someone has responded!! So the way our full time 4wd system works, by having free wheeling hubs is going to cuase all the power to go to those front wheels and nothing to the back?
I read somewhere that the center diff was a torsion/LSD type, but it sounds like its an open type diff?

Well the free wheeling aisin hubs might have to get scrapped off the list then Razz

But it looks like you can put an LSD center in the back (or ARB air locker, becuase its the same as the hilux)
and i can confirm that the front diff is actually the same as the supra! (mk3) g series IFS setup. I have a spare mk3 supra tosion diff spare, was thinking about trying it out at some stage.

and does this answer your other question Razz :
fitting aisin locking hubs Image12

at least once a week it goes offroad to get to mums place lol
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:18 am

Hahah Laughing Going by the sales stickers on the front window you didn't have it long before getting her muddy.

Yeah im just not sure if there was a model that had some sort of viscous coupling arrangement but i know for sure mine isn't. I think the only option with these van's was LSD front and rear. If you check your axle code you can find out if it's got the LSD.

So yeah with an open centre diff it doesn't matter what wheel you lift in the air (front or rear) ALL of the drive goes to that wheel with the least traction. Thats why if you install locking hubs you will simulate lifting the front wheels off the ground Rolling Eyes Would be so great if these van's had lock up on the centre diff.
Back to top Go down
urantia

4wd, 1kz

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:50 am

Yeah straight into the action lol. Wasnt happy about the amount of mud i flung into the newish interior Sad-

G292 here Sad- open diffs all around it seems Sad-

And i discovered the effects of getting bogged with 1 wheel in the air, only that wheel would spin, didnt go anywhere. Just like you said.

So im very keen on getting a little more traction. I think the Air locker at the back would be the way to go. As an LSD can get abit chattery and probably not last so long.

Also if you have a look here (you have prob already seen)
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?v=J_199710_TOYOTA_HIACE_KZH106W-MRPGT_4301&s=4131122060
It shows that the front diff is the same unit as mk3 supra and a host of other toyota's. Which is great news becuase there are loads of cheap LSD and torsion supra diffs forsale.

I have a couple mk3 supra's at home left over from engine conversions, i'd like to see if i can bolt the diff center in to the hiaces front diff housing.

I'll keep the forum updated with my findings Shocked
Back to top Go down
urantia

4wd, 1kz

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:54 am

I forgot to add, there is a little trick that can sometimes help if you get a wheel in the air, hold your brakes on a bit. Its supposed to send torque to the other wheels.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 4:26 am

urantia wrote:
I forgot to add, there is a little trick that can sometimes help if you get a wheel in the air, hold your brakes on a bit. Its supposed to send torque to the other wheels.

Yes like traction control... Iv'e tried this but didn't seem to work for me sadly.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 4:45 am

I have a couple mk3 supra's at home left over from engine conversions, i'd like to see if i can bolt the diff center in to the hiaces front diff housing.

I'll keep the forum updated with my findings Shocked [/quote]

Yeah would be interesting to see, i wonder if the gearing would be different? Yeah keep us updated for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fitting aisin locking hubs   fitting aisin locking hubs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fitting aisin locking hubs
Page 1 of 1