Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil filter and Oil capacity

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mjphiace
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 43
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 4WD LWB 2.8 Auto High Top Camper 1994
LH129V-ERPDS
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Oil filter and Oil capacity Empty
PostSubject: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Anyone know what type of Oil filter I need for a '95 2.8 diesel, and how much oil to put in?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 am

Oil filter that fits most ot Toyota Diesel engines - 2 sizes 80 something and 105mm - both fit but as they are the same price 105 is easier to get out. Oil I used 6 litres on both Townace 2ct and Hiace 1KZ engines with a filter change. On both engines the oil takes a long time to filter down from the filler so beware of over filling!

Oil change every 5K KMs or you could end up with gelled oil in the sump! Engines are old and have a lot of blow by, the oil will turn black within hours of replacement.
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks for your posting. What is blow by and what causes oil to gel and why is that bad? I apologise in advance for my sheer lack of knowledge about engines but I have to ask.

Thanks
Marko
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Blow by is exhaust gas blowing down the side of the piston rings into the sump...(worn rings/worn/glazed bores)...the soot colours the oil...I would'nt worry.
Think another big reason the oil gets dirty quick is that there's plenty of gunge in an old engine which does'nt drain away.
Flushing oils used to be common, but don't seem to be a fashion anymore...
Re: old oil...the way I understand it is the lubricating bit (molecules) can be seen as microscopic round balls, that allow surfaces to roll over each other without touching...the balls get flattened/hammered over time...
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Old and dirty oil PLUS heat can turn to sludge/gel. It don't flow and therefore don't lubricate and can even block oil ways. When you drain the oil it stays in the sump, si if you refill and 3 litres or less is need to reach the full mark consider having the sump dropped and cleaned out.
Back to top Go down
Adam
Not so new now
Not so new now
Adam

Number of posts : 20
Home City : London
Model and year : 1994 2.8 LWB Mid-top Camper
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:13 pm

mjphiace wrote:
Anyone know what type of Oil filter I need for a '95 2.8 diesel, and how much oil to put in?

Cheers

Hi Mate

I have the same engine as you and have been doing my own oil changes for the last couple of years, have a read of this Servicing Info That got me on the right track. I buy the filters from Japarts They are very helpful and not too expensive. 5 Litres of oil is required, I use 10w40

Good Luck
Adam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter and Oil capacity   Oil filter and Oil capacity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil filter and Oil capacity
Page 1 of 1