Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transmission "dithering" when downgearing.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IH8Domestic

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Transmission "dithering" when downgearing. Empty
PostSubject: Transmission "dithering" when downgearing.   Transmission "dithering" when downgearing. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Sometimes, not always, when I take my foot off the accelerator the trans will catch a downgear and then let it go.
It will do this repeatedly so the van is surging. Catching it and letting it go right away.
Keeping my foot on the accelerator will make it go away.
Fluid was really dirty at 75,000K, but I've had it changed twice in the last 6 months.

Any ideas?

bounce
Back to top Go down
galo55
galo55

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Québec Canada
Model and year : Hiace 4X4 Lh119v/1992 Pop-Up Camper
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Transmission "dithering" when downgearing.   Transmission "dithering" when downgearing. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:38 am

My van had the same problem, I found that by adjusting the kick down cable it solved the problem.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Transmission "dithering" when downgearing.   Transmission "dithering" when downgearing. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Until the other day I would look at cable first but I had the hose drop off the boost gauge resulting in pressure drop in manifold which should have resulted in much smoke from rear and increase in temp as the air fuel ratio was way out of whack, but what happened was the van lost power and the gear box went all strange with clunky shifts etc. My first thought was fuel filter and service the gearbox, but what had happened was the clever little chip had sensed the lack of air and cut back the fuel and what it did to the gearbox I don't know. I found the hose off replaced it with a new one and all is well again.Moral of the story is it ain't always the obvious, though I hope it is a simple fix for you like galo55's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission "dithering" when downgearing.   Transmission "dithering" when downgearing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmission "dithering" when downgearing.
Page 1 of 1