Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Empty
PostSubject: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:59 am

Quote :
"As one would expect from Toyota this is basically faultless and the 4 speed auto is a joy to drive , and although constant 4 wheel drive, there are free wheeling hubs fitted to the front to ease fuel consumption"

Above is quoted from a classified ad. I know next to nothing about 4wd in general even less specifically about the Hiace.

Is it on all the time? What are free wheeling hubs?

Sure this is obvious but for the moment I'm befuddled.

Help appreciated
Marko
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:51 am

Freewheel hubs...google aisin.
Sounds like someone fitted free wheeling hubs.....these disconnect / connect the drive to the wheels by manually twisting the dial on the wheel.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Is this an older Hiace, may have similar system as fitted on the Townace - www.townace.com will have loads of info.
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 4:10 pm

As above comments but the hiace is only a 3 speed box with an overdrive and a torque converter lockup.
Can anyone with a full-time 4wd confirm if it has a viscous coupling in the driveline to stop wind-up? Mine has selectable 4wd and I guess no VC.
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Its a '93 model. We were interested in buying but the hunt goes on maybe.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 3:32 am

Full time 4wd models are viscous coupling, 4wd all of the time and don't have selectable Hi/low range. Part time 4wd models have selectable 4wd hi/low gear selection on transfer case and are only on the early model SC's, think up to 94. Part time models allow you to drive around in 2wd but can only be used in 4wd mode when on slippery surfaces. The full time 4wd was introduced on the later models SC's. Hope this helps with your hunt milkman. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?   4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4WD On Hiaces... can anyone decode this for me?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: