Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems

Go down 
+3
maximus
Clive
bredzy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

Number of posts : 42
Home City : Roseau
Model and year : 1997 Toyota Hiace Wagon
D-T G CABIN X
Registration date : 2010-05-29

1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Empty
PostSubject: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Greetings all. I have a question. I have heard that there is something called a bore in the engine of the turbo versions of the toyota hiace that will inevitably burn or go bad especially after driving in areas with very hilly terain. I have heard that the later models of the turbo have intercoolers that will avoid that. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Is an intercooler the way to go? If so where can I source it. I live in the caribbean.

Anyone please help. I'd greatly appreciate that. I have a 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Turbo and I really want it to live to its fullest.

Thanks.
Bredzy.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

The intercooler cools the air to make it more dense and make a bigger bang in your cylinders, not a cooler for the turbo. However indirectly as the engine will have a little extra power over a non intercooler one, you will slightly less revs for the same performance and save on engine wear in the long run.

Not heard of the bore burning?
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 pm

OK. So in other words an inter cooler on a diesel turbo engine is better than and engine without inter cooler? About the bore, that's what a friend of mine told me. He said that it burns or gets damaged under to much compression. Can an inter cooler be installed on a turbo engine that does not have one?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 pm

The bore he probably refers to is what the piston goes up and down in,in the 2.4 turbo diesels a problem they are supposed to be prone to is head failure between bores 3+4,it could be this he has heard.
As clive said above it helps the engine to produce more power,it also cools the air(which gets hotter because its being compressed by the turbo)reducing the combustion temperature inside the bore that leads to the problem above.
If you fit the intercooler please post pictures because its a modification we would all love to see.Ive had a good look and im not too sure if its achievable on mine.As for sourcing one try ebay,lots of shapes and sizes on there.If there isnt any room under yours for an air to air intercooler you could try fitting a water to air intercooler as these are smaller but you then have to find room for an extra radiator at the front.Good luck.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Bredzy, you have 3lt TD 1KZ-TE engine? If so fantastic engine! cheers Keep regular service ie, new oil and filter every 5 - 6 thousand k's and it will love you long time! Very Happy
Regarding the intercooler? Not really an option for our SC's i think, not enough room for all the pipe work and then you got to find somewhere to put the intercooler? Question
The 1KZ-TE engine did run intercoolers on the Hilux's and Prado's here in Aus but they have plenty of room for it. Rolling Eyes I think they get about another 45Nm of torque affraid Like Clive said - denser air and bigger bang! bounce
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:41 am

@ srburnsy my engine is the KD-KZH110G 3.0 Desiel Turbo. Also, does very hilly terrain add to wear and tear on bore? What is better when going down hill, brake or compression? I tried to upload a pic of my engine but failed. I click on "Image" and nothing happens. Lastly what type of oil would be better for my engine?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes congrats, yours has the best engine!! the legendary 1KZ-TE! Bullet proof! cheers
To post images first you have to press the preview button then you can press ''Host an image'' button above to up load photo's cheers
Any Diesel specific oil is good, 15w-40 and replace every 5000km for best long term!
Hills are not a problem for our type of engine, plenty of torque! Twisted Evil To be safe always keep an eye on temperature gauge when on long hill climbs especially on hot days and if temp gauge goes above half way then you know to back off a bit. Having ''overdrive off'' is best for hill climbs, for going down long steep hills choose either 2nd or low gear depending on your speed and how steep it is. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 5:56 pm

When I click on host an image it takes me to https://servimg.com and I am prompted for email address and password. I put in my email address and password of this forum and it does not work. Can you help with this further?

Oh and is a turbo timer a good thing to have?
Thanks man!
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 pm

This is a pic of my engine.

1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems P4150010
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 am

the servimg account is not linked to the forum. You have to create an account with your own details.
I have a turbo timer on my "bessy". It was already fitted and it seems that some say its good and others dont bother with it.
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 am

Yeah i dont think you always need a turbo timer unless your 100% of the time flogging it and turning engine off after climbing a steep hill or drive way. In this case i always let it idol for 15 - 30 seconds before shut down. No need to let it run on if you have just been cruising easy.
Back to top Go down
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: The ultimate donk   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 am

Beautifull engine the 1KZ.
Cant believe the rest of the world ,well at least Japan had this engine around
1994 (I think) and we only got it in 2003 in the Prado and then Toyota went to the D4D the following year.
Speaking of D$D ,they are a rattly problem child of a motor , Just google D4D engine noise and see what I mean.
Obviously they had air bags as well in the old Hiace van in Japan ,but I guess Toyota Australia didn't reckon that our tradies lives were worth a few extra bucks to fit them to our very basic Hiace vans. Not to mention ABS brakes.
Iv'e had a gut full of Australia crap cars we get here .
Why would you buy a new car now with all the imports available.
Mate of mine just bought the Nissan El Grande , alot of car for $19k
Thanks to all those smart dealers who saw the gap in our market.
Just another wingin aussie.
Twisted Evil Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 11:53 am

Yeah my mate has a 2008 SR5 Hilux D4D and my first impression was that it was a bit rattly, especially for a supposedly smooth running high tech common rail diesel? Has plenty more grunt though! Rolling Eyes
Oh and yeah i share your pain about not getting value for money when it comes to buying cars in the Aussie market! Evil or Very Mad We totally get ripped off! Mad But at least we can get imports! cheers
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 5:27 pm

yeah.. I agree!! lol.. Thank Japan for imports. hehe. Here in Dominica we pay like double the price of an imported vehicle and its still better than buying brand new. Buying a vehicle brand new can be compared to buying a house!

Anyway I think i got it. To ensure long life of the engine, change oil and filter every 5000kms and cool off after a long run.
Back to top Go down
tolits

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Paranaque City, Philippines
Model and year : Hi Ace Super Custom Fulltime 4WD 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 1:52 pm

when i bought my sc 3.0 1kz te the turbo is not working. later i found out that the plastic cup going to turbo sensor is wrong (like a check valve) change it and WoW!! like bullet at 140 kph on the hi-way. the turbo works well, I love this van!!
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm

My van is automatic transmission. I've heard that when you have stopped its better to go into neutral rather than remaining in drive. Which really is better ? Also if your are going up a hill in Drive and you can feel that it should go into a lower gear, some people manually gear down to 2 or sometimes L if necessary depending on how steep the hill is. Is that a good thing to do or is it better to let the vehicle change on its own?
Please let me know whats up. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 8:28 am

I just let the the box do it's thing. Unless a steep long hill then I just turn the O/D off and the same if going down a steep hill.
As for being stuck in traffic with lots of being stopped then it may be sensible to select N.

Last edited by Clive on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Hmmm.. Interesting. So its better to let the box change on its own, but sometimes it takes to long to change especially on steep hills and when it does change the van starts to strain due to lack of momentum. Any advice? It is possible to change when the automatic transmission decides to change?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:52 pm

You have the option to kick down the accelerator, this will drop the box down a gear if it is safe for the box to do so, handy for overtaking. Can also be used for going up hill although as i said switching O/D off works for me - as an aside by having the engine reving higher and under load the fan does it's job better than it would if you just chugged up a hill. I think I've only ever done it with my camper on the back, the 3.0 has enough grunt otherwise.
Back to top Go down
bredzy
Not so new now
Not so new now
bredzy

D-T G CABIN X

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 4:52 am

I gotcha.. Good advice bro. I hope your super custom is doing good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems   1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1997 Toyota hiace 3.0 Desiel Turbo Problems
Page 1 of 1