Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate problems

Go down 
+2
Clive
entwistlea
6 posters
AuthorMessage
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Suffering problems with the tailgate lock. Was always a little stiff, but seemed to get very bad. Only way i could open was by putting pressure around teh lock with my foot and then opening the latch... figured that the lock mechanism just needed adjusting a little, however a very brief attempt at the weekend has shown that neither the lock or clamp have any adjustment in them...

Anyone adjusted this or know how, or am i stripping it down this coming weekend and writing a report Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 5:42 pm

I look forward to your report.
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Yep, looks like i'll be doing the investigating, am going to try to get onto it this weekend... will let you know
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 12:55 am

From my experience there is no adjustment in the lock or on either surface (door or body side). Can clean and lube the mechanism with electronics spray/lube but if it jams and gets rusty or clogged or when the internal light switch craps out the best solution is to replace it. A tip I discovered at the local wreckers: The LiteAce or TownAce from the mid nineties seems to be the only other Toyota model with the same latch. And the way the rear door is designed they seem to stay in better condition that the SuperCustoms'. (BTW, Toyota dealers here quote $260+ for a new one imported from Japan.)
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 6:16 pm

This is our 3rd Ace and they all developed the same problem. Spray sounds good tho
Back to top Go down
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 8:36 pm

pull of trim and lube the handle and lock , adjust striker plate on body by loosening screws a little bit and get a slide hammer with a hook on the end and give it a couple of wacks. Should get a couple of mill adjustment.
These tailgates are good unless the car has been acident damaged and not aligned properly.
Thats how I do it any way.
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 6:09 am

Mine got like this after lots of dusty roads, just sprayed lube in there and all is easy again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tailgate problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate problems   Tailgate problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: