Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Veggie Oil

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Veggie Oil Empty
PostSubject: Veggie Oil   Veggie Oil Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 pm

For those of you contemplating using Veggie Oil - a few tips.
I bought a LH119 2.8ltr normally aspirated diesel that had been run on 75-80% vegetable oil. Without a fuel heater the piston rings seized on the pistons and compression was lost.This was caused by the viscous liquid not being ignited totally during combustion.Oil consumption became one litre per 50 miles. The injection pump was clogged up and required a rebuild (£200). I fitted a VOW in line heater which heats fuel to both the filter and the pump using a glow plug in an aluminium block. Last MOT emissions were virtually nil and as the injection pump was re-calibrated the engine runs like a dream, albeit with less power but NO BLACK SMOKE on kick-down.
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

Veggie Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Oil   Veggie Oil Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 11:36 pm

It's funny you should mention the emissions as recently had the old boy through an mot, and it only required one run (will test up to 5 if the readings are poor) and according to the tester he was amassed at how low they were in a 93my vehicle.
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Veggie Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Oil   Veggie Oil Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 8:39 pm

Thanks for the tip JohnHRef999 and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I've been running 50-70% Vege oil for 15,000 km w/ no problems. I do not yet have a fuel heater but intend to instal a heated fuel line...

Where on the fuel line did you put the VOW? Near the tank or filter?
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Veggie Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Oil   Veggie Oil Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 8:27 am

Near the Fuel Filter. You can sweep the extra fuel lines in the space below the filter, Also you can check it is working OK by lifting the flap covering the top wishbone and Burning your finger end on it!!
I have taken the power straight off the battery with an illuminated switch on the dash so I can pre-heat before starting. Not a problem if I forget to switch it off as there is a thermo-switch on the unit. Left it on overnight by accident once but the starter/battery coped and fired first time!
Takes a little longer to bleed the system when fitted but mine appears to work OK.
I think the gummed up piston rings were due to the cold weather in January - the previous owner said it needed some attention but did not say what.
My Camping Monster runs very well on Veggie Oil now - it won't break the land speed record but gets me there!
I have a supplier in Bracebridge Heath near Lincoln of used treated Veggie Oil - 50 pence per litre DUTY PAID with receipt.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

Veggie Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Oil   Veggie Oil Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Still not brave enough to use it on "betsie"..

(although £1.67 / 3 litre rapeseed oil stright from the supermarket works ace in the company van) lol!
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Veggie Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Oil   Veggie Oil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Veggie Oil
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: